How to get rid of mold on walls?

Mold growth on walls is more common than you might think. In fact, mold spores are often in the air around us without us even knowing it. So even if you’re not seeing any visible signs of mold on your walls, it might be growing there and affecting your health. 

If you notice mold on your walls, you should be able to get rid of it with a little mold removal knowledge. The first step is to make sure that you’re dealing with mold and not some other type of staining on your walls.

Simple staining can often be removed using a mixture of soap and water. However, mold growth is more likely to be more resistant. For this, it’s best to call in the experts at Friendly Hills Restoration. 

We’ll come out and perform a comprehensive mold inspection. This will let us determine whether or not you’re dealing with mold growth on your walls. If it is mold, we will then assess the extent of the growth to determine how intensive the removal process will be. 

After assessing the extent of the growth, we will make recommendations and provide a quote for the mold removal process. 

What causes mold on walls?

Mold grows in moist places with a lot of moisture, often due to leaking pipes or condensation from windows. 

Mold spores can be transported into your home by air currents, and they can also be brought into your home as contaminants on clothing and shoes. 

Once inside your home or building, mold spores take root and begin growing, spreading out into larger colonies. Mold grows best in dark, damp areas, so places like basements, bathrooms, and attics are prime areas for mold growth. 

Mold spores are everywhere, but that doesn’t mean that all of them will grow. It’s not enough for mold to simply be present, as it needs precautions like warm moisture and darkness in order to start growing into something bigger. If you notice an area on your wall that is constantly damp and dark, this is a likely area for mold to grow. 

Can mold on walls make you sick?

Mold can cause allergic reactions including runny eyes, coughing, wheezing, and sneezing. However, more dangerous health effects can come from breathing in mold spores over an extended period of time. 

Short-term symptoms include things like nausea, headaches, fatigue, and eye irritation. Long-term exposure to mold can lead to memory loss, difficulty concentrating, and even breathing problems. 

Is it OK to paint over mold on walls?

You can paint over areas where you have noticed mold growth but not all paints are suited for painting over areas that have had previous mold exposure. In some cases it is possible but will require extensive testing before proceeding in order to prevent any further damage that would increase the risk of contracting an infection through the paint covering the affected area.

What kills black mold on walls?

Not all types of black mold are harmful but those that are best avoided are toxic black molds such as black toxic molds which are various species of Cladosporium and Stachybotrys chartarum (also known as “toxic black mold”). Toxic black molds can cause a number of health problems such as diarrhea, vomiting, rashes/hives and kidney failure so if you think you may have been exposed to any toxic black molds or simply want them removed from your house then contact Friendly Hills Restoration right away.