Even if you don’t live near the coast, it’s likely your home has seen a non-native species at least once. Mold and mildew are household names that have been popping up since spores appeared in the early 1900s. Mold invasions are common and can cause a real danger to your health if left unchecked.

Sometimes, you may not even notice mold in your home, as it can be hidden from sight. This is why it’s important to seek a licensed mold removal company to inspect your property for foreign invaders. The professionals at Friendly Hills Restoration are trained and experienced in identifying these invasive species and removing them from any building. If you do notice a mold problem in your house, here is a look into the more common types of fungus you may be dealing with.

1) What Are The Different Types of Mold Found In Homes?

Black Mold

There are over 100,000 species of mold, but only a handful that typically pop up in homes. Black mold is one of the most notorious types of mold that can cause serious damage to your health if not removed right away. When black mold is present, it usually means there is water damage to the home. This can cause considerable health problems such as asthma, allergies, coughing and runny noses, or mental issues such as depression, memory problems, lethargy and overall lethargy.

Olive Green Mold

Olive green mold is commonly found in kitchens and bathrooms, as these areas provide a warm and moist environment for the fungi to grow. Olive green mold is one of the three toxic molds that can affect humans, and should be removed as soon as possible by a professional company.

Other toxic molds include:

  • White mold
  • Brown Mold
  • Blue Mold

2) How do I know what type of mold is in my house?

It can be difficult to tell what type of mold is growing in your home without a professional inspection. There are certain things to look for that may indicate a dangerous infestation such as:

  • Sudden Changes In Temperature
  • Water Damage
  • Mold Spores In The Air

If you see these symptoms, call Friendly Hills Restoration right away! For an immediate response, call us immediately at (248) 951-9073. 

3) What does indoor mold look like?

If you do find toxic molds growing in your home, there are some key identifiers that can help you determine what type of fungus you are dealing with:

White Mold (Stachybotrys): This toxic form of mold is often found on drywall or wood where moisture has been present for a long time. It usually appears on surfaces within 24 hours of water damage and should be treated immediately by a professional company to prevent further damage. It is also common for this fungus to be found on indoor plants.

Brown Molds (Rhizopus): Brown molds typically grow on food items and objects that have been exposed to moisture for a period of time. It can also grow on grains and cereal when allowed to sit for a few days past their best before date.

Blue Molds: Blue molds can appear almost any moist surface, but are most commonly found on shower curtains and clothes that have been left wet too long.

4) What are signs of mold sickness?

A person suffering from mold sickness may exhibit various signs such as:

  • Vertigo
  • Nausea & Vomiting
  • Wheezing & Coughing

Mold sickness symptoms tend to appear within 24-48 hours after exposure to toxic molds such as Stachybotrys. This is why it’s important to have a trained expert take care of any mold problem you may have. At Friendly Hills Restoration our goal is to protect your health by remedying any issues with your home that could lead to potentially dangerous pathogens such as mold or bacteria growth harming you and your family members. If you notice any signs of mold in your property contact our experts today!

5) Is there a mold detector?

There isn’t a single technology device available today that will detect the presence of black molds or toxic spores within the home. However, this doesn’t mean that it’s impossible to identify traces of fungi growth somewhere in the house. Fungi feed on things such as dampness and decay; therefore, generally speaking, the more moisture present in an area within the building the greater chance that fungi will appear. If this is something you experience frequently within your home then perhaps it would be advisable to contact a professional restoration company such as Friendly Hills Restoration to investigate the issue further.